The mid twenties are such an interesting time in life. Everything is in SO much flux. Careers, big life changes. You are settling the person you will be. WE are settling into the couple that we will be – the couple and family that we can become together. Lately in the Edson household, things have overall just been… rough. Money, work, stress, changes, and the list goes on and on. And I find myself trapped in a sea of future-thoughts. Days of “Things will get better when…..” or “Someday we’ll……”
Perhaps it’s because there was a lot of that “if – when” going around my house growing up, I’ve now adopted the sentiment. This isn’t to say that having something to look forward to is necessarily a bad thing. It is such an important part of life, too. I am so looking forward to concerts and plays, to Maui later this year, to summer and so many other things. But perpetually saying “things will just be better when…” is exhausting and it’s completely living in the future. Never in the now. And that can be destructive.
Enter: The Seven Sunday Sentiments of Happy.
Seven things I am thankful or happy about from the week. No matter the things I’m not so thankful for. No matter the bumps or the stress. It’s so easy to get bogged down in those mundane details. There are always things to be thankful for. No matter how big or how small.
And at the heart of it, that’s what this blog is for: remembering the positive in everyday.
So without further ado –
Seven Sunday Sentiments of Happy: March 4th, 2012
1) Random things: Zumba, the gym, gym friends, biofreeze for sore muscles, krave chocolate cereal, good tv and MUSIC – wonderful music. Songs and pandora playlists that literally lift me through every week.
2) The amazing group of girls who joined me for our bi-annual clothing swap on Wednesday. We all took home fabulous finds and cleaned out our closets without spending a penny.
3) Spending meaningful time with my husband and actually allowing myself a low key weekend, filled with ]gym time, fro-yo, cooking, baking and new Teavanna tea.
4) One of my best friends, Stephanie, who is always my constant reminder that even in the hardest times, in the most transitional and frustrating times, there is always, always something to be positive about.
5) Clearing out the negativity. When time is so limited, the last thing I want to do is spend it having negative experiences or being around people who don’t contribute to the positive for me. Time to cut that out.
6) Chris, for loving me even when I am feeling at my worst, for always being there to keep me sane, even when I’m acting insane. : )
7) Reading. And remembering why I love it.
So while I head back to my reading of “The Hunger Games” and “The Happiness Project” – maybe even pop in another episode of Six Feet Under – I hope you have seven things to be thankful for this Sunday and that you make the choice to have next week be an even happier one. I know I plan to. : )